Book Review: Personal Demons by: Lisa Desrochers

Publisher: Tor Teen
Publish Date: 14 September 2010
Origins: ALA
Format: Paperback
Series: Personal Demons: Personal Demons (1), Original Sin (2), Hellbent (3)



Synopsis

If you had to choose between Heaven and Hell, which would it be?

Are you sure about that...?

Frannie Cavanaugh is a good Catholic girl with a wicked streak. She's spent years keeping everyone at a distance--even her closest friends--and it seems her senior year will be more of the same...until Luc Cain enrolls in her class. No one knows where he came from, but Frannie can't seem to stay away from him. What she doesn't know is that Luc works in Acquisitions--for Hell--and she possesses a unique skill set that has the king of Hell tingling with anticipation. All Luc has to do is get her to sin, and he's as tempting as they come. Frannie doesn't stand a chance.

Unfortunately for Luc, Heaven has other plans, and the angel, Gabe, is going to do whatever it takes to make sure that Luc doesn't get what he came for. And it isn't long before they find themselves fighting for more than just her soul. 

But if Luc fails, there will be Hell to pay...for all of them.

Review

I was giddy with excitement as I started this book and I read it straight through in one sitting, ok, with a few random 'OMG' tweets between pages and chapters. This book definitely did not disappoint. I love most of all, since it seems to be becoming a pattern in book recently, that the ending did not have a cliff-hanger. There is definitely enough opening for a second novel but I wasn't left with that 'stolen puppy' feeling and my mouth hanging open.

I am unable to eloquently break this book down by characters, writing, and plot because it was all amazing...so...I am going to tell you what I loved and didn't love.

Let's start with what I did not love. I did not love that Gabe didn't get his own point-of-view. I would have loved to have known what was going on in his sexy head. I totally think he should have had his own POV from the beginning of the book, that way I can feel justified for wanting to be on Team Gabe, because he would have then actually stood a chance. I also did not like that Frannie was so...selfish (couldn't think of a better word, more on that later), I think a decision for good would have been obvious...but it is a book....so I will relax.

Ok. What I did love. *psh* Where to start? I love that this book has a nice comfortable paranormal romance feel someone intertwined with a bigger-than-life feel. This book is about the sway of good and evil, heaven and hell, I would say that is pretty important. I love that Frannie is a strong independent women and knows what she wants, in life and in her man...I can totally appreciate her wanting to live her own life without being controlled but at the same time (see comment above). 

I love the raw sexual energy seeping from the pages of this book, it is hot, and so very right. I think teenagers spend about 95% of their time thinking about sex, and the other 5% for day-to-day functioning. I also loved the concept of the smells associated with emotions, don't we always say animals can smell fear, but...what does fear smell like? Read this book and find out! As for me, I have developed a liking for cinnamon.

Author Twitter

For your blogging pleasure here are the buttons my good friend Shanyn made:





So pick your team and if you can link back to Shayny (www.chickloveslit.com) she is awesome!

Copyright The Bibliophilic Book Blog 2009-2010
Subscribe with Bloglines Subscribe with Bloglines

4 comments:

  1. This review makes me =) Thanks! And I love the buttons :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jealous! I cannot WAIT for this book! It sounds sooo amazing! I love that it switches POVs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm about 2/3 of the way through this book and I'm really enjoying it (I'll probably stay up most the night finishing it). I agree that it would be nice to see Gabe's point of view, but books with more than a couple POVs can get confusing really fast (especially when the plot gets really good and I start reading faster, but that may just be me). But maybe in the next book...?! Team Luc, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So great to hear that this book doesn't end on a painful cliffhanger like so many other 1st-in-a-series books lately. Thanks for sharing your review! Personal Demons is on my wishlist. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...